Saturday, August 23, 2014

My Sister Disapproves of the New Activia Packaging

OLD Activia yogurt packaging
NEW Activia yogurt packaging
As you may or may not be able to tell from the above pictures, Activia has apparently changed the font on its packaging label. I, personally, can only just barely tell the difference between the old font and the new font. My sister, on the other hand, is incensed that Activia has dared to alter THEIR packaging with a font that is almost literally no different from the previous font. 

As you almost may or may not be able to tell, I could not possibly care less that this has happened. I don't even eat Activia yogurt. Usually. 

I partly think it's funny that my sister cares so much about the font on a yogurt package. But I also think it's something of a comment on American society. I mean, a lot of people to day feel validated, or try to feel validated, by the purchases they make. And, a lot of people today are perfectly comfortable with starting fights over inconsequential things, or so it would seem. My question is, when there are plenty of serious, life-or-death issues to talk about, why do we start discussions about yogurt packaging (being facetious here, but not that facetious). 

This is called a report button, boys and girls.
This is generally the thing you try to avoid
when navigating the internet. 
It's true that I've had really only a cursory experience of the Internet, but even that has shown me that people are perfectly capable of starting trivial and/or nasty discussions here. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if a discussion on the Internet isn't trivial, it's almost always disproportionately nasty. There are exceptions, of course, but I don't think there are actually that many. 
(And then there are the rarer, but still existant, Internet discussions that are trivial AND nasty. There are certain forum threads I could link to to prove this, but I will restrain myself.)

So, all this having been said, what do YOU think? Is the new font on the Activia package good? Bad? Horrendously offensive? Does the Internet encourage nasty and/or trivial discussions, or are those just side effects? And finally, did I or did I not use way too many all-caps words in this post? 

(Please, do try to keep these discussions from turning nasty.) 

Thank you and goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment