Sunday, May 8, 2016

Captain America: Civil War [Spoiler-Free]

So I got very lucky and was able to see Captain America: Civil War opening weekend. I don't want to spoil it for anyone less lucky, so I'm just going to post a vague outline of spoiler-free thoughts, and then expound on them later.

- The Russo brothers, directors of both this movie and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, continued to impress me with this movie. The plot is... a little sketchy, overall, but it's paced well. 

- The writing and characterization were excellent. I was skeptical and a little nervous about how this movie would be written going into it, but I wasn't disappointed. All the characters were great, and some were particularly great. 

- I'm definitely going to compare this movie to Batman vs. Superman later on, because there were a lot of similarities, but also a lot of contrasts. 

- I would definitely recommend seeing this movie. As with Winter Soldier, it's easily one of Marvel's best movies. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited! Do you think I should know a little bit about Iron Man "history" to understand it? I haven't seen any of the Iron Man movies...

    Thank you for sparing the spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeelll.... It really depends on how much backstory you want. I don't think any of the Iron Man movies are essential to this one. (I haven't even see Iron Man 2 or 3.) If you really want history/setup, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers: Age of Ultron are probably the movies you'd want to see, but they're not essential, and I'm iffy on Age of Ultron anyway. It wasn't my favorite.

      In summary, this movie does pretty well as a standalone, you don't really need to watch any of the Iron Man movies, and the only really important movie to this one is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Sorry, I'm long-winded.

      Delete