Saturday, August 11, 2012

Moving, Part II

I'm writing this from a small, two-room TLF (or Temporary Lodging Facility for short) in Oklahoma. The good news is, soon we'll be on our way to Alaska. The bad news is, 'soon' means two to three weeks. It's August now, and I can feel autumn in the air. The air is getting cooler, and the leaves are starting to fall. However, I've been thinking, and I've realized something: autumn is just starting now, so it should be more or less in full swing by the time we leave. It's approximately a two-week trip to drive to Alaska from here, and since autumn in Alaska only lasts one or two weeks, we'll probably have missed most of autumn by the time we get there. The only good part about that is that we'll probably see snow sooner rather than later.

Ah, snow. The last time I saw snow was over two years ago in Georgia. That was the only year I've ever gone to public school. We got a snow day on the Friday before a three-day weekend, and boy was it fun! We went sledding on the little (tiny) hill near our house, we caught snowflakes on our tongues, Dad and I even had a snowball fight. That's a tradition with me and Dad--whenever it snows, we have a snowball fight.

I'm excited about going to Alaska because there should be enough snow there to make a snow fort, something I've never done before. A snow fort, a big snowball fight... I've never done it before, but it sure sounds fun.

I know this is totally unrelated, but I'm really excited because a couple of much-waited-for books are coming out this fall and next spring:
  • The Mark of Athena (By Rick Riordan)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (By Andrew Peterson)
Plus a couple of movies, too:
  • The Hobbit
  • The Silver Chair
So, I'm looking forward to lots of snow and some new books. And maybe I'll even beat Dad at our next snowball fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment